Be a part of the Challenger Learning Center
If you have an interest in being a part of the Challenger Learning Center team and helping us inspire the next generation of innovators, check out our job opportunities!
Flight Director (Program Facilitator) Part-time (10-25 hours/week): Flight Directors lead the Challenger Learning Center’s simulated space missions and other STEM programming both at the Center and at off-site locations.
Note: You must apply through Ferguson-Florissant School District. In addition to the application, please email a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know why you are interested in this position.
Anticipated start: Early 2023
One part educator, one part astronaut, Flight Directors lead the Challenger Learning Center’s simulated space missions and other STEM programming around the St. Louis region. Watch this 2-minute video to learn more:https://www.challengerstl.org/about-us/
- Lead simulated space missions for school, community, public and corporate groups.
- Facilitate after-school programs at community organizations.
- Facilitate on- and off-site workshops and other programs as needed.
- Represent the Challenger Learning Center-St. Louis at marketing fairs and other related events as needed.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Free membership to St. Louis Science Center
- Flexible schedule (see qualifications, below, for details)
- Get to do the fun parts of teaching (doing fun STEM stuff with kids!) without the lesson planning, grading, or parent meetings.
- Mileage reimbursement
FLEXIBLE SCHEDULE REQUIRED:
Work schedule varies week to week. (Average 10-25 hours per week during school year, up to 40 hours during summer.) Ideal candidate will have the following availability:
- Biweekly meetings Friday mornings
- Minimum three days a week (M-F) and occasional weekends
- 3- to 6-hour shifts, 8:30AM to 6:00PM
- Strong presentation and communication skills
- Teaching experience in formal or informal education
- Ability to communicate effectively with both children and adults
- Ability to problem-solve and improvise in real time
- Comfortable with technology and willing to learn new software
- Experience with populations underrepresented in STEM fields
- Strong interest and/or background in STEM/ space science
- Ambulatory to move around all areas of the building
- Driver’s license and willingness to drive personal car to off-site programs
- 60 hours college credit earned or demonstrated pursuit of STEM learning preferred
Please include a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications – or send it to Erin: email@example.com .
The Challenger Learning Center-St. Louis is a partnership of the Ferguson-Florissant School District, the Saint Louis Science Center and EducationPlus.
Please Note: Challenger Learning Center staff are employed through the Ferguson-Florissant School District. Candidates wishing to apply for a position can get the most up-to-date information at Ferguson-Florissant School District employment opportunities and follow the instructions. Please contact the Ferguson-Florissant HR department at (314) 506-9158 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The Challenger Learning Center has volunteer opportunities for assistant Flight Directors to help facilitate a variety of programs, including simulated space missions, rocket workshops, camps and planetarium programs.
Ideal candidates have some type of teaching experience (formal or informal) and can commit to a regular schedule of at least five hours/week Monday-Friday between the hours of 9am – 2pm.
There are internship opportunities at Challenger Learning Center-St. Louis in the areas of Marketing and Program Facilitation. Applications are accepted on a rolling admissions basis throughout the year.
- Assistant Flight Director Internship: The intern will assist the crew with numerous Challenger Learning Center programs which include simulated space missions and other space-science education programs for students in grades Kindergarten through eighth grade. Applicants should be in or studying in the field of education with an emphasis on science.